Thursday, May 8, 2014

EVERYBODY NEEDS A ROCK


The other day I was browsing the used book store as I sometimes do, in search of a few "gems". There are always great books to be found there and the space is filled with books, all categorized in terms of their topic. In the children's book room I found two or three great little books for my granddaughters but also one for me. It is titled "Everybody Needs a Rock" by Byrd Baylor with pictures by Peter Parnall. What a great book. Simple. Very few pages (less than 20 I would say) and not much to the pictures that are hand-drawn in terms of color but the content is superb! 

I have been a "rock hound" since I was a young girl. I used to have a great rock collection with each rock in its own compartment, categorized by type, when I started my collection. Over the years I would add to it but when I left home at 18 it was one of those things that got left behind in my locker in the garage. I always knew it would be there waiting for me if and when I wanted to pick it up but then one year my parents decided to move and it, along with many other items that I felt were valuable, got tossed in the garbage during the move. I was devastated, to say the least. It takes YEARS to put together a good rock collection!


I have "collected" rocks ever since but not rocks that are semi-precious stones or valued. I have collected rocks that "speak" to me along the way. The criteria is always the same: they have to be a special shape or color or come from a place that I want to remember. You know...SPECIAL!
Byrd Baylor says in her book: "If somebody says, 'what's so special about that rock?' don't even tell them...Nobody is supposed to know what's special about another person's rock." 
She has ten rules she uses for finding a rock. Rule Number 9 I really like.

RULE  NUMBER 9
"Always sniff a rock. Rocks have their own smells. Some kids can tell by sniffing whether a rock came from the middle of the earth or from an ocean or from a mountain where wind and sun touched it every day for a million years. 
You'll find out that grown-ups can't tell these things. Too bad for them. They just can't smell as well as kids can."

I guess I am still a kid-at-heart since I still sniff my rocks. I hold my rocks, rub my rocks, sometimes dip them in water to see the color and if I don't have any water to dip them into...well then...I have been known to even LICK a rock on occasion. Or spit on it! 


I love to collect heart-shaped rocks and I know many people who do too. They don't have to be perfectly-shaped hearts either. They can be a little bit wonky, abstract hearts. Just as long as they remind me of a heart, that is all that is important really. But heart-shaped rocks are not my only criteria either. 

I also like to collect perfectly round rocks that look like balls. And then I like to collect elongated rocks of all different sizes. I have a collection of rocks that look like faces, rocks that sparkle, rocks that look like skulls. And it's funny how these rocks find me. I might just be carrying the garbage out one day and happen to look down to see a face staring back at me in a rock. I have to pick it up, examine it, and if it is "special" it finds a place in my collection here at home. I actually think that I have rocks in almost every room (inside and outside) in my home. It's just something that has to be.

"I've seen a lizard pick one rock out of a desert full of rocks and go sit there alone. I've seen a snail pass up twenty rocks and spend all day getting to the one it wanted. 
You have to make up your own mind. You'll know."  Byrd Baylor




7 comments:

  1. Your rocks are awesome. Sorry about you losing your rock collection as a young girl. Great post, Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this post! My grand-daughter and I share a love of rocks. Every time I go away from the farm, even if just for a few days, I always bring her back a rock or a shell and she does the same for me. They all go into my garden although some extra special ones stay in the house. I have a very small house and not much room for 'stuff'. They all get the smell and spit and rub test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love to find heart shaped rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a rock collector myself, I so get it. My son inherited it from me...he just turned 18 and brought a rock to show me just yesterday. :)
    Stacey
    www.downtoearthdigs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha. i have a few rocks around the house...sniffing a rock...just watch the surphur you know...whew rotten eggs...taught my kids streak tests and hardness scales this year so was fun to play with rocks there too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello fellow rock hound.. why are we called 'hounds' I wonder. I also collect different types of rocks... flat round ones, ones with white veins, heart shaped ones, balls, crystals.. only another rock person will understand. happy hunting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen this post ... I love Byrd Baylor's view on life ... her rules for rock collecting are new to me. Now, I will look for this book. Soooo glad I saw this post.

    ReplyDelete