Thursday, April 2, 2009

TODAY'S INSPIRATION COMES FROM...

Leslie Avon Miller of Textures, Shapes and Color. She was kind enough to share a site that showed an online gallery of collage artists. There are over 100 artists being represented there.

I really found the collages interesting and there are three pages of collages that you can visit and purchase. And... the prices are great! I saw a couple of artists that I am aware of such as Mimi Shapiro and Joan Schulze. Both artists are well-known to me. I own a copy of Joan Schulze's book of quilts that she has made. Her quilts are much in the same vein as her collages. They are quite intricate and layered and she uses photographs that have been processed in some way (scanned to fabric perhaps?) and also uses photographs that she has taken on her many travels and teaching excursions as part of the quilts. I have been an admirer of Joan's art for quite some time. She has a studio space in San Francisco that has a great view of parts of the City by the Bay.



This is a collage that I made for my friend's daughter when she moved in to her new "rustic cottage" in Lafayette. Apparently, the place is in the woods (of the city) and she has had many visitors in the form of insects and birds since she moved in. She has had scorpions and spiders to name a few. So, I made this collage for her last year titled "Where the Wild Things Are".



It was a fun thing to make. It is mounted on heavy gray paper and has assorted fabrics, bug images, bee images, and vellum that have been sewn with thread using my antique Singer sewing machine. I incorporated words such as "Survive this" and a few other smaller things that are hidden and only visible when the viewer gets up close. I like to hide things that not everyone might find upon first inspection of the piece.



I really think that collages are some of my favorite things to make. It is fun to create a story using images from magazines, fabrics, and other items. I think the photo of this is not pure though. The reds seem much darker when you see it in person. Isn't it fun to see what scraps of "stuff" can come together to make? I always find the end of the process to be exciting; to be able to look at something sewn or mounted on paper and remember where it all started: a thought, a picture that sparked an idea, a photo of something that was important (or not).


Leslie gives her own reasons for making art: curiosity, reverence, time, energy, resources, attention, love, respect, connections, looking at things everywhere! It sounds as if we all feel the same way about why we do what we do. I agree with all of you and that is probably why I felt the need to read and follow other people's blogs. For me, even though I don't know any of you, it is the connection that I feel. I don't have to know you to know that all of you feel the same way that I do and that is what makes me feel bonded in some way. Thanks for the inspiration Leslie. Keep up the good work.u,
it is the connections that I feel. I don't have to know you to know that you all feel the same way that I do and that is what makes me feel bonded in some way. Thanks for the inspiration Leslie. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive