Monday, June 6, 2011

COLD WEATHER FOOD

Here is northern California, we have been having lots of rain, wind and some pretty cold temperatures. This kind of weather calls for home-made soup and I had just the one in mind today. It is a recipe that my sister gave to me and it is so easy but oh so good. The perfect combination!

Tomato Basil Soup

1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
I can tomato sauce (14.5 oz.)
I can tomato juice (11.5 oz.)
Chicken stock (1 can)
clove garlic
1 sprig of fresh basil
1/3 cup heavy cream (thicken with cornstarch---I don't do this)

Mix all the ingredients in a soup pot, except the heavy cream. I let the soup simmer for awhile and then right before serving, I add the heavy cream. Delish!

I served it with homemade (by B!) rye bread. Yummy!

5 comments:

  1. nice...it is smoking hot here...but i'll taka a good soup on a rainy day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the weather you're having...it's unseasonable here as well with temps in the mid to upper 90's tomorrow. It's just wacky. Thanks for the soup recipe. Looks good. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having our kind of weather! And tomato soup (with grilled cheese sandwiches) are what's for lunch most days! I will be trying your recipe for sure - i've been buying it in the carton at trader joes, but this sounds much better and probably less expensive too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you! Are we ever going to have some warm weather? I would imagine that next month we will be wishing for this weather but... enough is enough. It's time for some sunshine.
    Until then.... soups on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, that looks delicious! and i love the red-checked plate :)

    I must say, after walking the dog in florida's now 90% humidity and 90 degree temps, i wouldn't mind a spell of cool weather!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive