Monday, January 16, 2012

SILENCE

This is a photo of the Christmas card I sent out this year. It depicts one of my plants that represents silence to me. And, it was also my way of sending a "Christmas card" without saying "Silent Night, Holy Night". A bit esoteric, I admit, but when I think about what plants represent to me and what they do for me on a daily basis, it was apropos.

Some plants seem to require little care; give them water occasionally and they thrive. They multiply without you even noticing when or how it happened. There is little effort required except the weeding (if necessary) and dead-heading, but just think of all the joy they give to someone. And recently focusing on "awakening joy" in my life, what could be better than a plant to remind me?

Randy, over at Santa Fe Daily Photo has posted a couple of photos lately that have depicted what he sees around him that remind him of silence. He does a great job of giving us a taste of Santa Fe each day without the obligation to write a lot and expound upon what he is feeling. You just kind of "know" what he is feeling from the few words he writes and the wonderful photos he takes. Again, some synchronicity seems to be out there for me since I see the words "silent" and "silence" in many other places too. You can see for yourself here and here what I mean about his photos.

He has also posted some great quotes there too. "Silence is a source of great strength" (Lao Tzu)
and "Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift." (Albert Einstein) On my card I wrote what I have been learning in regards to silence in my meditation practice and that is: "It is within silence that we gain a deeper connection with our unique spirit." All in the same vein...all necessary when trying to awaken from this deep sleep we call life.

I suppose for some my card was too esoteric. But for me, it was what I was feeling. It was what I was seeing. It was what I am trying to put into practice each and every day now. An awakening of sorts. Yes, some might have thought "This is not a Christmas card!" or "what have you been smokin'?" but, isn't it all the same? Isn't the message we try to put out there at Christmas-time or the holidays one of getting in touch with our deeper selves? And what better way to do that than to get to a place in your life, your daily practice, where you can find silence within?

Thanks, Randy, for another great reminder to me and for also letting me realize that we are all one. It takes some of us longer to get to the point of realizing this but that is OK too. The point is the journey and not the destination, right?

3 comments:

  1. I see what you mean.

    I usually sign my Christmas cards - yes, I still enjoy Christmas - with the sentiment that may you enjoy the season in ways meaningful to you. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...plants and trees do bring a particular silence that is not always silence but def bring me peace...dont know if i said it the other day but your header is so cool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally your Christmas card was much-needed reminder during a hectic time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive