Wednesday, January 6, 2010

AM I WORTHY?


I have been aware of the importance of the crow (or raven) in my life since the time of my daughter's open-heart surgery in 1998. I used to hear the crow "talking" to me from the trees but never really saw him there. But, I was aware of his message and what he was trying to say. Since then, crow has made himself much more apparent in my life and whenever I am worried or upset he makes himself present to me in the most unusual places. Today, he was in the tree and on the fence of the softball field. He waited just long enough for me to take his picture and receive his message then flew off.

According to this, "Native American Indian lore describes the raven as a creature of metamorphosis and symbolizes change/transformation. Often honored among medicine and holy men of tribes for its shape-shifting qualities, the Raven was called upon in ritual so that visions could be clarified. Native holy men understood that what the physical eye sees, is not necessarily the truth, and they would call upon the Raven for clarity in these matters.

Foremost, the Raven is the North American bearer of magic, and a harbinger of messages from the cosmos. Messages that are beyond space and time are nestled in the midnight wings of the Raven and come to only those within the tribe who are worthy of the knowledge.

The Raven is also called upon in Native ritual for healing purposes. Specifically, the Raven is thought to provide long-distance healing.

The Raven is also a keeper of secrets, and can assist us in determining answers to our own "hidden" thoughts. Areas in our lives that we are unwilling to face, or secrets we keep that harm us--the Raven can help us expose the truth behind these (often distorted) secrets and wing us back to health and harmony.

Dr. Carl Jung deemed raven symbolism to represent the shadow self, or the dark side of the psyche...by acknowledging this dark side we can effectively communicate with both halves of ourselves. This offers liberating balance, and facilitates tremendous wisdom".


CROW

I can hear you talking
In the tree
Above me
But I cannot
See you.
What are you trying
To tell me?
Beware
Relax
Open your eyes.
I look up.
Straining,
I see your yellow stare.
You fly away
To another tree.
I
Am
Listening.

copyright Teri Mahl 1998

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Also... thank you for the link to a great site. I have read a book called Animal Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature by Ted Andrews. I believe all things in nature are here to give us messages if we are open. Your poem is just beautiful! I'm happy you are listening. Smiles!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive