Tuesday, January 26, 2010

THE MIRROR HAS FACES

My dog, Bodhi, on his way to the groomer yesterday. He doesn't mind having his picture taken at all! Now, ME...that's another story!The only thing vaguely similar in these two photos is the "white" hair!!! I wish that I didn't mind MY photo being taken but...it has never been my favorite thing to do. But, I was trying to play with my new camera and learn how to use it so that I can take better photos. I wanted to take a sepia photo but for the life of me could not figure it out. I need the manual!!! Why does a camera come in a box sans manual? Sure...there is a disk that you can read page by page ON YOUR COMPUTER but I am a "hands on" type of person. The heck with all this running back and forth, clicking different pages, and trying to figure it out. I want to HOLD the manual IN MY HANDS and practice, step-by-step all the options. I know, you say, PRINT IT! It is about 150 pages long. Do I have enough ink left in my printer? Wouldn't it be easier for them to just include it in the box for me?? Maybe there is a phone number or an address that I can contact to have them mail it to me. So, for now, please excuse the less-than-perfect pictures as I stumble through this. I just found that there is a button for fireworks in there!!! What other settings are lurking in this wonderful black box? It's no longer just "point and shoot". There are buttons and settings to think about. Can this "white-haired" human accomplish this? Well, I'm going to try. That's all I can say. At least I haven't given up. I think that I will prove the phrase "can't teach an old dog new tricks" wrong. I WILL LEARN. I hope seeing me isn't TOO scary!!

7 comments:

  1. Ah, good for you finally getting yourself a camera. And a Canon, yay! You may catch the self-portrait fever now, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Teri,

    Self-portraits can be fun, even if the results are kept private. I feel it is important to take ones self portrait on a regular bases and one can then look back over the years and see the changes.

    I recently took my own picture in conjunction to Irving Penn's passing, now I am planning a regular self-portrait session but the weather has not been accommodating, as I use natural light.

    In regards to trying to shoot in sepia, I am suggesting that if you have photoshop or similar program that you shot only in colour and then convert to B/W or sepia.

    Warmest regards
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brand new camera...what fun! Nice self portrait...maybe one a day to figure out all your bells and whistles?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go-- though I shouldn't talk here-- I took a class when I got my big new Nikon digital-- and found it so difficult that I am back with the Auto button on most of the time. and I don't know about shooting in sepia with the camera but my son did show my how to get to sepia in Photoshop

    ReplyDelete
  5. you and B are both adorable.
    You could just print the parts you want to learn. That's what I do. More managable that way. I need something in my hand too. I know it's annoying now to have a manual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its nice to see you !

    >>> Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice self-portrait, Teri. I've just come over from Maggies Secret Garden, like your blog and will follow, if I can get it to work! I'll try again!! xa

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive