Wednesday, May 2, 2012

AFTER THE STORM

Last week we had rain storms, lots of wind, and a bit of thunder and lightning. I never like the thunder and the lightning, but the rain is always a welcome element in the garden because it helps me water the yard. Last year, none of these flowers even existed in this yard. We have lived in our new home exactly a year now and each weekend, I add more flowers, more grasses, more growing things to this yard.

One of these days, I will be able to look outside and really see the accomplishment of hard work that I have put into the yard. Hours are spent weeding, raking, planting...and it is never work for me. I think if I had my way, I would be out in the yard all day long. There is just something so spiritual about being in the midst of nature. It seems easier to tap into that when you're right in the middle of it. I sometimes have to remind myself that all that wonder exists when I am stuck inside scrubbing a floor or doing the dishes. Yet, I know that I can find the spiritual side in those simple things too. It's just that I have to remind myself to do so a bit more.

4 comments:

  1. ha. yeah it takes a bit more reminding to find the spiritual in washing the dishes, but it is there...smiles....it has rained a lot here too...had a beast of a time mowing yesterday,...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. We have lived in our present home since 1989 and everything that is in our yard, all 1/2 acre, we have planted. Trees galore, plants of all sorts, roses, ground bushes and it goes on and on. This is our "getaway." Enjoy your home and before long you will see all the fruits of your labor coming to fruition. It's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. has it been a year!?
    wow.....love that you are planting
    such comfort in growing things...or at least watching them grow..since none of us can raise a blade of grass on our own

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much of the mundane and everyday is soulful work. But if given the choice, I would take dirty hands, and grass-stained knees any day over doing floors and scrubbing tubs. Glad you enjoyed your time outside under the great blue sky.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive