Wednesday, September 8, 2010

IF THE SHOE FITS...YOU MIGHT NOT FIND IT



Am I the only one who has noticed this "shoe phenomenon" or have any of you noticed it too? Everywhere I drive, I see stray shoes. Shoes on their sides, shoes left by the side of the road, shoes in the middle of the road, shoes everywhere I go! It sounds like a Dr. Seuss book doesn't it? Red shoes, blue shoes, old shoes, new shoes...

I started documenting these stray shoes with my camera lately. I just can't understand how one shoe goes missing. Does someone throw only one shoe out the window of the car? Is someone mad at someone else and says "there! now you have only one shoe...see how far you can get!". It certainly is strange. Do you think that anyone ever picks up these stray shoes and tries to find the matching one? Or, while driving down the road, someone all of a sudden yells "STOP...there's my other shoe!". I'm perplexed, to say the least, about all these stray shoes. I feel sorry for them that they are discarded, never to be with their mate ever again.

Unless...somewhere, out in space, there is a place where all old shoes go to die. And meet their match. How come you never (hardly ever) see expensive shoes on the road? You never see an Enzo Angiolini shoe on the road. I would be so sad if I walked upstairs right now, looked in my closet, opened up my shoe case and one of my Enzo's was missing! That old tennis shoe??? It wouldn't bother me all that much. But I'd sure wonder what road I might find it on some day, when I least expected to see it, waiting to be picked up and taken to Planet Shoe.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post. It made me chuckle. You are so clever with words. I left a pair of sensible walking shoes on the night train from Vienna to Venice. I HAD to buy a pair of Italian ballerina courts to trip around Venice. I have them still..with happy memories. I wonder who got my sensible shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always wonder if the people just disappeared...and if i start seeing pairs instead of singles...i am getting worried...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing, I think. To spot shoes laying around like that. Don't think I've ever seen the same around here. I spotted a tiny pair of gumboots once in a playground after all the children had gone and often wonder if the mother ever remembered where they had been left. But the only place I think I've seen a solitary shoe is at the beach, washed up.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A terrific subject to document! I often wonder at the stories of stray shoes. How could one lose just one without noticing? They look so randomly sad scattered hither and yon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sort of creeped me out....especially after reading this article that severed feet were showing up on the shores of British Columbia and Washington state:

    http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=8555

    I guess I'd rather see a loose shoe than a stray foot. That is really weird to find shoes scattered around. Pretty creepy if you ask me.
    Funny post Teri. Thanks...
    Love your header BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this has something to do with the missing sock phenomena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. now that I have read your wonderful funny post I do remember seeing one shoe here and there once in awhile-- it is strange that it is always just one shoe isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive