Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FALL

Here is proof positive that Fall has arrived in my little corner of the world. This Black Oak leaf has fallen in the middle of some Madrone leaves, some sticks, and even a few strawberry plants. If I haven't said it before, let me say it now: I LOVE FALL! This is my most favorite time of the year and it is kind of perplexing to me when I try to figure out why.

For some reason, Fall seems like a time of renewal to me. I know: that doesn't make any sense because all of nature looks like it is dying, digging in for the upcoming season, becoming dormant. But to me it feels so ALIVE at this time of the year. It feels as if everything has been given a second chance at birth. The colors are so vibrant at this time of the year. I love the falling leaves; the reds, the yellows, the oranges. I also like looking at the trees and noticing that last leaf that remains on the tree and refuses to give in and fall to the ground.

I love the smell of the wood smoke in the air from all the homes that burn wood. People are raking leaves into piles and making fires out of all those dried and brittle leaves. I can remember jumping into huge piles of leaves after my Dad had worked all day raking them into those giant piles. I'm sure he was a bit upset about me messing up the piles after he had worked so hard but: is there anything better than that crunching sound when you are a child and fall into that huge pile? What could be better! Crisp, brisk air making your face and your hands cold and red. But, when you're a child it doesn't matter. Life is young and fresh and ALIVE! Just like the season. Or so it seems.

2 comments:

  1. I am the opposite-- not as excited about fall coming because it is getting colder and will soon by rainy weather here... but I think there are some strong fall memories for you and I grew up in Hawaii-- no autumn memories there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your area sings autumn in such a beautiful way...years ago we would drive up to the Sierras and buy apples, apple pie and take in the colors...spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive