Monday, October 5, 2009

FUNGUS AMONG US


These mushrooms remind me of what the ground is supposed to look like most of the year: damp and moist.

It has been a long, hot summer and finally---we are having some cool temperatures here in the Sierra Foothills. It is currently 10:00 AM and it is still only 47 degrees. We have been having wood fires in our wood stove and the smell of the smoke in the air is glorious! There really is nothing like the heat from a wood stove in my estimation.

Two years ago we switched over to a propane-fired stove in our living room thinking that it would be less work, less mess, and a warmer fire. Not true for us at least. That December we spent over $500 on propane and that was the end of the propane stove. It currently sits in my studio, along with its remote control to turn it on and off and hardly ever gets used. And when it does, because my studio is such a small space, I can turn it on and then turn it off within the hour and the studio will stay fairly warm for the entire day. I think this is a much better use of non-renewable energy.

Trees: they are here for the long haul. They continue to re-grow and here on our property at least, we have been cutting fire wood for as long as we have lived here and you would not be able to tell. The forest is still so dense and thick and sometimes I feel like logging the property just to be able to see "the forest for the trees". Even in the winter when all the deciduous trees lose their leaves, we still don't have much of a view to any kind of far-away place. We are very closed in and dense. It makes for good privacy but it can also be claustrophobic also.

These mushrooms enjoy it though. It affords them all the necessary elements that they need to thrive: moisture, good compost, dense foliage, and shade. Are there any mushrooms that thrive in the sun? I know occasionally I see some growing on our lawn but I wonder if it were not moist if they would survive? Hmmmm.....

3 comments:

  1. You know how I feel about mushrooms ; ) and I saw plenty this weekend too.

    I just ate "Hen of the Woods" for the first time on Friday evening (at a local restaurant). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see 'mushrooms'-- I see brown textures and shapes-- lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie--I saw your post after I did mine this AM. I am constantly amazed at the "kindred spirits" that I find out there. You and I seem to be on the same path,so to speak.

    Layers--yes, textures and shapes. Isn't that what it is all about? I guess if I squinted hard enough everything would disappear and turn to a shape or a texture. I plant to do a Christmas card this year in some sort of fashion using a photo that I have taken and then drawing it with colored pencils. I guess I had better get on the ball, knowing how long it takes me to get anything accomplished these days!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive