Saturday, May 1, 2010

MESSAGES

How many ways can a person receive a message? Telephones, emails, written notes or letters, billboards, telephone poles, the list goes on and on. But, recently I found a new way to receive a message. And I listened to my heart and acted upon it.

While visiting Katherine Treffinger's blog "Treffinger Daily" a few days before my birthday I saw a new addition to her blog and that was something called: Our Living Dream. You can find it here if you're interested. Katherine talks about doing spiritual readings using Tarot cards. I have always been interested in Tarot readings and so I contacted her and asked her if she could do a reading over the phone. Yes! So, we made arrangements for me to call her on the morning of my birthday and we would "talk" for about an hour (it actually ended up running a bit over...I guess I like to talk a lot).

Katherine was easy to talk to. She introduced herself to me and said that prior to my calling her she had done a meditation and asked what should come through for me. Her answer was "happiness". Things in the last six months have been very sad for me. I no longer speak to a life-long friend and I have been stressed beyond belief by this occurrence. Granted, I have been working on releasing this from my life and moving on, trying to forgive and yet move on without her. It has been difficult but I have to be realistic too: if someone doesn't want to support you when you are going through some of the most difficult times in your life, then perhaps you don't need/want that person in your life anyway. I would hate to have to edit everything I say or do in order to have this person in my life. Friends are supposed to support you through thick and thin, right? We all have "bumps in the road" (as she put it) but the key to a strong relationship, in my humble opinion at least, is sticking with someone when they most need you. Oh well. Here comes the good part!

Happiness is what came through for Katherine in her meditation. This year is called my "Wheel of Fortune" year which "is the best time to open to unexpected opportunities, to turn your life in more fortunate, positive directions, and to grow and expand in new ways. Financial opportunities or unexpected windfalls could occur this year, but most likely they occur only because you are open to the possibility or are actively trying to create situations of more prosperity and opportunity in your life."

I'm happy that I listened to the message I was given and made the call to Katherine. She helped me tremendously and I can honestly say that there were times when I was on the verge of tears because of the truth that was coming through the phone from her mouth to my ears. Sometimes a person just has to take a chance and try something new that might feel awkward. I admit I was a bit nervous making the phone call. I was probably afraid of what I was going to hear. But there was nothing that I heard that was not helpful and supportive. Katherine has a soothing voice and you can sense the genuine caring in her voice when she is talking to you. As an added bonus I received a tape in the mail a few days later so that I could play the session any time that I needed to review it.

I have felt for awhile that I am on a new path. My eyes have been opened to many new and exciting things and more keep making themselves known to me. I guess it is just like that saying: when the student is ready the teacher appears. This is a very special time in my life. I feel that it is filled with unlimited opportunities and information. Books keep "falling in my lap", chanting tapes "appear before my eyes", a job was offered to me that I didn't even apply for or expect. I have learned to not take anything for granted and to accept life's offerings when they occur.

I recently read something in "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron that really rang true for me. She says: "So, the next time you encounter fear, consider yourself lucky. This is where the courage comes in...We can shut down and feel resentful or we can touch in on that throbbing quality. There is definitely something tender and throbbing about groundlessness."

Messages? They're everywhere. They're found by listening to your inner self, by listening to others, by looking past your own pre-conceived notions about things. They are in the hurt, the sadness, the rejection of a friend. The key is to have your eyes open and see them for what they are. And, to take a chance and try something new. Like a Tarot reading from miles and states away. Pema says that "things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing". How true this statement is. So every time I feel a bit sad, a bit unsure of myself I repeat over and over again to myself: I choose happiness.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Teri. You are a beauty. It is lovely to read such openness. I really appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another small but good book and very easy read The Elixir of Forgiveness”. by Pema Chodron, The Fresh Start,The Places that Scare You and When. Things Fall Apart are an excellent read.

    Having the courage to dream limitless dreams that go from myth to reality...

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can choose happiness...sounds like you are in a good place or on a nice journey at least...that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like it's going to be a wonderful year for you Teri...and that makes me happy for you.
    I'll be heading over to Treffingers's Daily now and see what messages I can find...thanks.
    Have a relaxing Sunday, filled with love of family, sunny skies, and a garden bursting with lots of fresh green!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Katherine's blog (and her playlist!) and I'm glad the reading was such a positive experience for you. We do always have the choice of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choose, decide - such easy words to write, to read, to hear - sometimes a lot harder in the doing of them. Sounds like you ARE indeed choosing and deciding. Your openness to the positive message that Katharine shared with you is marvelous. Wonderful when one of us can help another with the gift of listening. May you continue to follow a path that will give you a new freedom and positive outlook.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive